Technology Reserve is seeking Technology Packages and expert know-how in the field of conductive, food-safe plastics.
Plastics are the preferred material for handling and transporting food products because of their light weight and low cost. But due to the risk of static discharge, conventional plastics cannot be used to safely contain flammable foods or oils. A traditional solution has been to add carbon or metal fibers to plastics to render them electrically conductive, thus dissipating static electricity and eliminating the risk of fire or explosions.
With the implementation of the European Commission Regulation (EU) No 10/2011, carbon and metal fibers can no longer be integrated into plastics intended for contact with food products. The industry is seeking a replacement plastic that is conductive, inexpensive, compatible with existing injection molding equipment, and adheres to European Food Safety Authority requirements and European Union food-handling regulations.
TR’s client seeks experts in electrostatic dissipative plastics, who can provide samples of materials for testing on existing injection molding equipment.
- Partner possesses injection-moldable polymer compositions that are capable of dissipating static charge
- All potential injection-moldable polymer compositions adhere to European Food Safety Authority requirements and the food-handling regulations covered by European Commission Regulation (EU) No 10/2011
An ideal expert partner will:
- Deposit Technology Packages and/or expert know-how providing electrically dissipative materials for injection molding tests
- Deposit samples for analysis against the requirements of (EU) No 10/2011
- Validate a low unit cost for the plastic
- Work in tandem with the client’s engineers to integrate a solution into their next-generation product